Thursday, November 27th
Jeremiah woke me up at 6AM to tell me we'd gotten a text that Kotah would be "playing tomorrow at 8 and to be there at 7:15" I went back to sleep... at 7:38 Jeremiah woke me up again saying that the game was TODAY and it started at 8!!! We were staying 23 minutes away (when there isn't any traffic)... we woke the kids, got Kotah in his football stuff, threw some bananas and granola bars in a bag, grabbed the bag with the toothbrushes and RAN OUT THE DOOR...
We got on the freeway at 7:50... I didn't say a word the whole way to the park. We got there at 8:09 and the team had NOT had to REweigh in prior to the game so Kotah ran straight to the field. Jeremiah got out with him and I circled the parking lot trying to find a spot. I parked, got Kenai and Kaiya dressed, pulled my hair back into a pony tail and we went over to the field. APPARENTLY, they were running just enough behind that Kotah didn't miss a single play. (I was oh so relieved!) We brushed our teeth with bottled water and spit into the garbage can... Jeremiah told one of the other parents, "She never lets me speed, but the whole way here she didn't say one word... so I just flew!"
Kotah is below with the long black socks, second from the left... they are waiting for the other team to kick off.
...Kotah running in the back field heading out to the side to get his block...
Kotah on the sidelines with his good buddy Keynan Wagoner. These two became such good friends. They are the two quietest players on the team and attend the same school. There were several times I caught Kotah helping him get his jersey fixed, or his helmet on straight, or doing up the clasps for his chin strap. Kotah just really grew to value his friendship.
Kotah on the side with two of the main guys that block for him when he carries the ball.
This was the FIRST time the team did kick offs. At practice the previous week, Coach Paul had Kotah practicing. This was his first time placing the ball (in a game), he went back to the huddle, raised his hand then turned, ran and KICKED it... then the whistle blew... haha there was a penalty called on him because he didn't wait for the whistle to indicate that he could go.
Coach Paul called him to the sideline to remind him of the process then sent him back out on the field to kick it again.
This time he gathered the huddle and indicated to the ref accordingly, then waited for the whistle.
This kick ended MUCH better anyway so it was a good thing he got to REkick it. I'm sure it was at least partially from nerves and the fact he'd never done an actual kick off that added to the pressure of remembering all the little details... He told me that "as I practice more I'll remember better what I'm suppose to do for next time." That is so like Kotah, looking for the good and preparing for the future.
Kaiya was being GREAT the whole time... so long as she was able to play in the dirt with Gemma (Wagoner) her "best friend". These two have been great friends the whole season. What is funny about them is that they are just as girls are with one another... best friends, fighting, best friends, fighting... and so the girl drama begins with 3 year olds.
Kotah's team lost, but knowing that this was their FIRST tournament and the FIRST time they were actually playing with all of these players (some from the season team and some from neighboring teams) made it easier to get through... besides, the team they lost to won their division/state playoffs for the San Francisco area.
Thank goodness for NOT having a weigh in, and thank extra goodness for the speeding car we followed most of the way out to the fields so we'd know if there was a cop up ahead.
The rest of the day was spent getting ready/cleaned up then heading to the Golden Nugget where the rest of the team was staying. We spent the afternoon/evening hanging out with Wagoners and then we ran into the rest of the parents/team at a "Balloon Lady" where all the kids got different balloon creations...
Kenai wanted a sword
The balloon lady told Kaiya, "I know what you want... Ariel" to which she said, "No, I want the Little Mermaid" haha it was funny.
Kotah waited and waited until he finally decided on what he wanted, a lizard.
We left the old strip and headed over to the newer one with all the fun attractions... the mission of this trip was to see the water show at the Belogio and the Volcano show at the Mirage
We parked at the Mirage and walked down to the water show. The boys liked the show, Kaiya was upset because she wanted to still be on Jeremiah's shoulders.
Since it was obvious that Kaiya was finished for the night, we headed back to the Mirage to watch their show and then headed home.
Like the night before, the kids fell asleep on the way back to the apartment. We got them into beds and then crashed ourselves. What a day... by this time I had the WORST headache. I took some medicine and about 15 minutes later I was out for the count. Kotah didn't play until 1 the next afternoon so we were excited to sleep until we naturally woke up.
Friday, November 28th
Oh what a beautiful morning. When you go to bed with a throbbing head ache and wake with nothing going on, you already know it is going to be a wonderful morning. Jeremiah had made us all breakfast and afterwards we got ready for the day so we could go to the park and watch Paul's older boys' team play before Kotah's game. They won their game (in a few years we expect that to be our little guys, winning and dominating their games).
Kotah's game started with him kicking off... again, better than the previous kick offs
Kotah is a strong little guy in his league... they give him the ball and he just plows through the players in front of him, hopefully next year he'll have more of an actual hole to run down.
Early in the game, Kotah was on the field playing defense when the other team fumbled the ball and KOTAH RECOVERED it... he dove on that ball like it was the only thing important at that moment (which I know is exactly what it was) He was SO PROUD OF HIMSELF...
Kotah's team scored in this game. They had a little guy run around the right side where Kotah hit his block, as well as another player, so the runner was able to run it in for a touchdown. Now Kotah got to kick off again... and at with the previous kicks this on was better than the last one.
They lost this game also, but everyone still got a dog tag with the tournament's name on it and the year. I like that they each got a Tshirt as well as this little memento from the registration fees. It was a fun learning experience, and I LOVE that Kotah has had something fun to participate in for the last 5 months. It is hard to believe that it has been that long and that when it all started I was still working. I would have missed most of this, if not all of this had I still been working.
...as a side note...
Kotah's grade participates in an online math sight where they study and pass off their addition/subtraction/multiplication/division. By the end of November they wanted all the kids to have their addition/subtraction finished. Kotah had his addition done at the end of September, his subtraction finished at the end of October and.... you guessed it... he passed off his MULTIPLICATION on this day before going to his game. With all he is achieving in sports, I'm proud to say he is excelling even higher in his academics. He wanted to be the first, he wants to do it everyday, he comes to me and asks for help. He is growing up so fast and into such a strong, independent spirit. I LOVE that he stands by what he wants and doesn't give into peer pressure. His friends turn to him to be a leader of what is right. He is a happy, joyful child that knows he is loved and expresses his love all the time to those around him. So much can be said about the boy I'm helping to shape into the man I want him to be, but for this post I'll close with a simple I LOVE YOU SO SO SO MUCH KOTAH AND I'M SO VERY PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE BECOMING.
No comments:
Post a Comment