Sunday, August 5, 2012

My Single Mom Sunday

(Part I) Today was..... up and down.  It started out great with me and the kids watching some Olympics (the men's tennis finals) and then beginning the "Get Ready for Church Routine".  I get the kids their breakfast at the counter and head off to the shower to start myself getting ready.  Finish in there and head out to get the kids' breakfast cleaned up and them off to their room (the boys) to get their church clothes picked out and brought upstairs.  I have, in the mean time, gotten my makeup on and done my hair.  I get the kids into the bathroom to brush teeth and fix hair, then move out to the front room to get them dressed, except at this point today I let them get dressed themselves.  Kotah did so with no problems and was ready to go in 10 minutes. I got Kaiya changed and ready to go in those same 10 minutes. Kenai was NOT so compliant.  He did NOT get dressed, in fact, he got UNDRESSED from what he had already put on.  At this point we are 20 minutes away from church time... which is MY time I like to leave.  We got into a huge argument before I got him dressed and rushed the kids to the truck.... WE did make it to church on time (EARLY even) just me the kids.  I guess sometime Kenai just likes to walk upstream rather than take it easy and float the current.
(Part II) It is Fast and Testimony meeting the first Sunday of each month.  This is a time given to all members of the congregation to stand at the pulpit and share with others what they believe, as far as the teachings of the church goes.  After a few members had stood to share Kenai had a friend go up.  At the moment he turns to me and says with all sincerity, "Hey, I can go up there." He said it mostly as a statement but kind of still asking.  I told him he was welcome to go up if he wanted to share his testimony with the rest of the people in the room.  He said he did so I asked him what he wanted to say.  He practiced twice then asked if I could go with him to make sure he said what he wanted.  He was out the bench and waited just a second for me to place Kaiya by Kotah and leave the safety and comfort of that wonderful bench.  We sat close to the front so at least it was a quick walk up.  We got there and he pointed for me to pull out the step for him and climbed up there and said,
"I'd like to share with you my testimony.
I am thankful for my mom and dad.
I am thankful for churches and temples.
I am thankful we were sealed together in the temples.
I am thankful for my friends. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
It was so simple and so sweet.  I was so grateful for him wanting to get up there and share what he knows are important.  After having such an unpleasant morning getting to church I was sure thankful I didn't decide to just forget about it and stay home.
(Part III) Kenai was asked (by me pretty much thanks to my calling) to give a talk in Primary.  The subject was "Having good friends will help me Choose the Right".  We had talked about a few examples from the scriptures that showed him how to be a good friend and also what he should look for in a good friend.  The Men he decided to talk about were Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.
"This is Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.
They were good friends.
Their King told them to pray to a statue.
They prayed to Heavenly Father, not the statue.
They were thrown into a hot fire, but didn't die.
The bad guys that threw them in died.
I want good friends like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.
Having good friends will help me Choose the Right.
I want to be a good friend like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
He did such a great job remembering most of the story on his own.  He just seems to keep stepping up his game.  I have always said that he is my hardest kid and that he can be such a little turd, but after today (well after church) he has taught me that I need just just keep trying because lessons are sticking. Thank you for being a shining star in my day this day Kenai.  Mommy just needs a little reminder now and then of just how great you really can be!! LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

No comments: