Today was the first day of AYSO soccer games in the Sudyka household. Kotah has previously played 2 seasons and was excited to start a 3rd. Kenai, on the other hand, kept telling me he didn't want to play and he was sorry... but when he got out there and started running around and actually playing he seemed to have fun with it. I have the "honor" of coaching Kotah's team this year so Kenai's coach was so wonderful and left him in to play and had him sit out his quarter after I was gone (thank you so much). I got to see Kenai score 1 of his 3 goals. He plays so differently than Kotah. He runs and chases the ball, but he also has that added "dandelion factor" where he can/will fall down and just lay there some before getting up again. Perhaps with time that will change, but for now I have to just bite my tongue and enjoy him having fun.
Kotah and I left Kenai's game at half time in order to make it to our game. (The parks are only a few miles apart). We got there had the kids warmed up and ready to take the field at 11, our game time, when the coaches of the previous game blew the whistle and called out "Quarter". I'm thinking WHAT???? So apparently the first game of the day didn't start until 9:30 instead of 9 which in turn bumped start times for everyone else. (I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS) First of all I could have stayed at Kenai's game and finished watching him score his other goals; Second it makes it difficult for parents trying to leave to get to another game following ours; and Third I think it is just plain inconsiderate... they should have shortened their own game to compensate. I REALLY HATE people who think life just revolves around them and that everyone else can wait, and wait, and wait.... for them to make their entrance. We shortened our quarters from 10 minutes to 8 hoping that would help a little... but the other team's coach still wanted to warm up on the field before starting and still wanted to have so much dead time during the game that we didn't make up anything for the following game. This leads me to another thing that annoys me... as coaches we are responsible for refereeing the games. I had my whistle, the other coach had hers. We played 3 quarters without her even moving her whistle to her mouth and when I end the 3rd quarter she approaches me to tell me I should have waited to end the quarter when the ball was out of play. (and YES, I should have) I just figured since she hadn't participated in ANYTHING up to that point that she wouldn't have known that. So what did I do??? I acted immature and totally out of line... I told her, "Well, you guys are winning and I just figured since you hadn't blown your whistle all game you didn't know what you were doing so I ended the quarter when the alarm went off," and I walked away to talk to my players. When it was time to finish the last quarter I put my whistle away and allowed for her to run the rest of the game, telling my players to "Wait until she blows the whistle," "I don't know who's ball it is, she was closer... guess we'll just throw it in", and maybe my favorite...when she didn't blow the whistle at the end of the game, "Are you going to let them keep playing or blow the whistle so they know the game is over?" I was rather upset by her and I'm pretty sure she didn't mean to upset me. It was just the straw that broke the back. And maybe I needed to have that so I remember AYSO is recreation for everyone/anyone who wants to play. They don't need to have experience (which our team only has 2 returning players out of 8). They just need to what to play. It is about learning and practicing and getting better. I needed that reminder. I just want them to play to the best of their abilities and this year it may be lower than other teams, but at least it will be their best.


No comments:
Post a Comment