Tuesday, October 11, 2016

July- Lacrosse

July 6-9 Boise, Idaho

Wednesday, July 6th our family was packing up and getting ready to head out of town for a Lacrosse Tournament in Boise, Idaho.  One thing that needed to occur was getting the top back ON the Jeep.  In doing so I was shutting the back door.... at JUST the WRONG moment when Jeremiah put his hand in its path... the result?  His right pinky finger was shut in the door, he yanked it out and proceeded to run and jump all over the back yard (YES, I was responsible for that and I'M SORRY).  We bandaged his finger and finished loading up the Jeep to head off.  (side note: Kenai stayed home with my Dad so he could attend Day Camp with Scouts).
We didn't think it was anything more than a REALLY REALLY hurt finger so this is how he spent his weekend.
 
We headed up and got all settled into our hotel Wednesday night.  We walked over to "Beto's" for a late night dinner and it was the perfect summer night. The moon was shining and the stars were so bright, if we could have walked longer on our way back we absolutely would have. (take me back- I miss that night).
We called Kenai and checked in with him and Dad.  He was more than excited to get some ALONE time with Grandpa, and while I missed Kenai (and kept counting for 3 kids at every stop we made) I am so thankful that my dad wanted to spend his time with Kenai. So we went to bed knowing all was well back at home.
The next day, Thursday, Jeremiah had made plans to see his (dad's) old friend Steve Kunkler (not really sure how to spell his last name) so after eating breakfast at the hotel we went on over to his house.  We visited and caught up before heading over to this man made reservoir for some fun in the water... the only problem was we didn't know that was going to be an option for the day's activities so we hadn't exactly come prepared to GET IN the water so instead we just let the dog and kids play on the beach and practice skipping rocks. (Steve is pictured below in RED). Later that evening we all enjoyed a wonderful home-cooked meal thanks to Steve's wife (and NO, I don't remember her name... seriously, dang it.)  Their son came by and come to find out HE use to play lacrosse also, and he had a bag full of balls for our boys to take and enjoy.  As the sun set we said our good-byes and headed back to the hotel to meet up with our pillows. Games were going to start the next morning and we all needed our rest.
The boys played 2 games on Friday.  Won one and lost one. Kotah played well, as always.  The team TRIED to get together than night for a team dinner, but some didn't get the message and others just plain decided not to show up... still others (like ourselves) didn't want to hang around as long as it was going to take for them to get orders/place them and serve us.  So we went back to "Beto's" again for some great, CHEAP, and close to the hotel dinner.  We were finished in time for me to go down to the pool with Kotah and Kaiya, and many of the other players from the team... it was so much fun.
Saturday the boys had only one guaranteed game.  In order to play in the Championship game they would have to win their first game... which they did.
(pictured below: Ryker Olsen, Mason Smith and Kotah)
The boys lost, but seriously, we didn't even think we would hold our own against the winning team.  They play year round, pay $100 a month to be on the team/training with the team, and they have a coach they paid to MOVE TO BOISE... and these are 9/10 year old boys.  IF we had beaten this team it would have been truly sad for them. 
Thankfully our boys were more than trilled with a 2nd place finish.
By the time we were finished at the fields that day we loaded up the Jeep and headed home... we got home that night by about 10, just in time to get Kenai (from his fun filled day at scout camp with my dad) and head home to sleep in our beds.
Here are some fun images of Kotah on the fields... He truly, TRULY LOVES this game of Lacrosse.
Kaiya LOVED Annie.  She was on her hip as often as she was with her, and thankfully Annie didn't mind having a little tag-along
I thought this was one of the funniest/cutest pictures of Kaiya, Ryker, Kotah and Mason. haha

July 15-16 Heber City, Utah
MELTDOWN TOURNAMENT

Since this was our LAST week/weekend of Lacrosse for the season we invited my dad to go with us.  In making our plans to stay in Heber we all decided that it would be just fine to camp overnight in the  parking lot at the school where Kotah's team would be playing.  Looking back I still remember how bitter sweet this tournament felt from beginning to end.  On Friday the boys played 2 games: 1 loss and 1 win.  Again, goals were scored and great plays were made by all boys (including Kotah).  Friday night after all the other athletes and their families had left the fields, we purchased some pizza and ate it outside the trailer in the cool evening air.

I was pretty sick this whole week.  By Friday I had realized that I had PINK EYE and by Saturday morning I had NO VOICE.  I worked out better that way though, because I would have been caught saying a few (or a lot of) things to the refs in the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME... one in which our boys finished victorious in the 3rd period of sudden death overtime.  I felt so bad for Kotah.  When he got up Saturday morning he was feeling terrible.  He hadn't exactly be 100% on Friday but by Saturday he was hurting. IN SPITE of all that crud, he still played his heart out and scored goals/had assists and just plain kept up as long as he possibly could.
When the game was over the boys got "Champions" hats, we took pictures and it was over just like that... it was like there was this huge build up and then it was just over.  I shed a few tears knowing that was the end of the season.  A season where I watched my 10 year old son grow in so many ways that I couldn't believe it had only been a short 5 months.  Here his is pictures with Coach Steve Andrus.  Looking forward to the next year of growth and development, although I still wish I could have my little baby back some times.
Who would've thought that like 10-15 minutes before this picture Kotah was dry heaving and puking?  He is an athlete that will continue to amaze me I'm certain.

No comments: