We had left this day open in case there was something we wanted to do again. Jeremiah decided that he would like to drive out to Nakalele Blowhole again and then come back to a beach that is North of Lahaina for the afternoon of swimming. So, that is exactly what we did.
Seriously, how did I get so lucky as to have this hotty fall in love with me and he is willing to stand beside me through all the trials we have had to endure these last 11 years??? I am one lucky lady that I know for sure!!
This time when we were down by the blowhole we walked on past it and around through some of the lava flow in the area to see more of the shoreline and what else was in the area besides JUST Nakalele and the heart rock.
There was another smaller and less accessible blowhole further down the shoreline that was not as huge, but impressive and fun to watch nonetheless.
Jeremiah, I am glad you wanted to drive back out here. It is amazing how different the SAME place can appear at different times of day and coming from different directions. I am always up for an adventure, so long as I know you will be beside me for it. The wind was blowing so hard this day. It had started Sunday and just continued to get stronger and stronger even through Monday.
After Nakalele we drove back down towards Lahaina. There was a beach that was just North of Lahaina that Jer wanted to go to for some great boogie-boarding. He is so brave about going into the unknown waters. I just stayed up on the beach and enjoyed watching him play on the board in the waves. I know, I know.... "always up for adventure".... BUT the water scares me a little, even as an adult because of a near drowning I experienced as a kid.
When it was time to go we packed up all our gear and headed to the car. Before driving on "home" we had our sandwiches, chips, treats and drinks. When we did arrive back at the condo we showered and rested (naps or sitting on the balcony).
After having a little bit of a break we got ready and went on a dinner date. This was to make up for the AWFUL pizza we had for our "Valentine's Date Night". We chose somewhere we knew we would like... Ruby Tuesday's and it was a delicious meal. We each orders local seafood dishes with fresh fish, lobster, shrimp and soup/salads. It was wonderful.
Tuesday, February 16th
Prior to going on this trip we had discussed some of the MUST DO items. The only thing left on that list was SNORKELING... We had not decided on which company to go through until Saturday when we talked to our condo's concierge. After considering what was offered for the different prices we settled on Quicksilver Charters for our excursion. We set it up for this day, Tuesday. We had to meet at the marina at 6:45 for check-in and signing consent forms/waivers. Our first stop was about 45 minutes out at Molokini Crater. This was cool because it was the FIRST time either of us had actually snorkeled. I panicked a little when I first entered the water because they had us enter the water with our snorkel in our mouth rather than entering the water and THEN catching our breath to use the snorkel. After settling down in the water I LOVED IT as did JER.
I had a great time swimming around and seeing all the different fish swimming around and around... it was also cool to see the small schools swaying with the current just like we were.
Because of how strong the winds had gotten by this day our boat had to try and "go around" all the turbulent waters... they did this by staying closer to the shoreline rather than cutting across the open waters where all the whales travel. Due to this we didn't get to see the whales like we had hoped. We did see tales and blowhole sprays. We did see a few come out of the water, but we were not as close as we had hoped... not that we were disappointed.
Our second stop is one of MULTIPLE "Turtle Towns" that the different charter boats take tourists to for snorkeling. We saw some different sea creatures here. Jer's favorite was a long, skinny fish (pictured on the GoPro- so I'll get it later)... that is UNTIL I spotted the SEA TURTLE(s)
Up to this point in the trip, THIS was the COOLEST EXPERIENCE. This guy swam right up towards me and all I could do was stop where I was and stay put while he passed beside me. There were other people chasing him and because of that he swam under the coral to hide from them.
I'm sure they were just as excited as I was, but I at least knew better than to CHASE the poor creature. Then there was another and another... I was able to video tape them so we could show the kids. I screamed out of my snorkel and Jeremiah just laughed at me again.
After swimming here for about an hour we came on board the boat again (for the last time) and devoured our BBQ pork and salads. (I forgot to mention that we had also eaten breakfast on board the boat in the morning). Just as we were heading back to the harbor there was this little storm system that came crawling over the mountain and down over us in the water. It was funny seeing some of the tourists scramble "inside" so they wouldn't get wet... we already were wet from the ocean?!?! haha
The little system passed quickly. The last little sight we saw on our way back in was this injured seal that was "sleeping"... we never did see it move, not once so who knows if it really was just "sleeping"
We arrived back at the dock about 2o'clock. What an AWESOME experience!!!
While on the boat we overheard a couple talking about a beach where they had seen dozens of Sea Turtles the night before. We decided THAT was where we were going to spend our evening before dinner. We drove up to it (about 10/15 miles) and it was quite the sight to see.
THIS was such a dream come true. I convinced Jer to hang out here for oh, like an hour. We just kept watching turtles come in with the waves and others leaving with the waves... at one point there were 35 turtles on the beach.
We finally left because we were getting hungry and needed something to eat.
this beach is just about 1 mile NORTH of Mama's Fish House at the beginning of The Road to Hana
We went to dinner at Zippy's again... Umm, yes it is YUMMY.

No comments:
Post a Comment