Today will likely be remembered by my family and me as the day we were cut off from one portion of our extended family on my dad's side. Today is Grandparent's Day, and in following the trend I had a cousin post on Facebook about how wonderful her grandfather is and how she wished her grandmother was here to be with him. She then commented to her own parents about how they are great grandparents to her own kids. She left it at that..... I DID NOT. I told her something to the affect of "Traci, I'm sorry, but you have another set of grandparents. You have no idea how much you are talked about, worried about and LOVED by them. They would love nothing more than to have you and your family around to participate in all the family activities we have. They LOVE you!!!"..... NOW it was not this exact quote, and although I'd like to provide you with her exact post and my exact response I can not because she has now deleted me as a friend on social media... as well as deleting my sister, brother, and sister in law. Now you tell me, do you think it was wrong of me to remind her that she does indeed have other grandparents that love her? That want her to be happy and successful and involved with the extended family activities we have monthly? There are MANY reasons, issues and DECADES of such that have led to this moment in time. It seems like every time I find out more and more about the past and what has taken place I just can't understand why my grandparents KEEP TRYING and KEEP LOVING and KEEP WANTING this family to come back and participate in everything the rest of us cherish. They are such a great example of what I want to one day aspire to. I want to love my children/grandchildren even when they are so blatantly rude, disrespectful, hateful, and vengeful toward me. I hope that by the end of their lives they will know they did ALL they could to show this family they truly did love them and truly did want them to just know of that love.
Picture from February 2012 Celebrating my Grandma/Grandpa Bennington's 59th Wedding Anniversary: Left to Right- Kurt (Pam) Lynn (Gayle) Bart (Carolyn) Front: Marilyn and Norman
Not Pictured: Blake (Mona)

2 comments:
I'm sorry Sharcy. That kind of treatment is never fun, but if the other party had been open minded they would have realized that your comment was made out of love and would have reacted more maturely to it. When they are ready and the time is right this relationship will heal, but problems that are generations in the making often take just as long to unravel. I can tell from this post that you love that person. Keep a soft heart. It will work out!
Sometimes it would be really nice to get in the head of someone else. I don't think what you said could have given offense. Sorry you have to deal with the drama, but glad you are smart enough to enjoy the company of your grandparents.
Post a Comment