Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Making Baby Food...

I am putting this on the blog for the benefit of a friend who asked what I do to make Kaiya's food. This is how I make the BUTTERNUT SQUASH....1. I cut the squash in half from top to bottom

2. I scoop out the seeds (just like cleaning out a pumpkin)


3. I place them face down in a pan with about an inch of water in it.

4. I set the oven to 400 and bake it for an hour 5. (above) This is what they look like when they are finished

6. I scrape off all the "meat" from the peel while it's still hot, it just seems to come off easier
7. I put the "meat" in the blender and begin pureeing them...

I do this by gradually adding in the breast milk (formula/water) until it has a smooth consistency.

---the consistency will vary depending on what your baby likes---

8. I then place the food in ice trays and cover them with plastic wrap (tin foil can stick)

9. Place the trays in the freezer over night

10. The next day pop them out and place them in a large freezer bag (this will/can last you up to a month with different foods and cereal to trade off with and mix)


*I make acorn squash/spaghetti squash pretty close to this exact way also (the time/temperature may be slightly different)... next up cereal

3 comments:

Carolanne said...

You are such a good mommy! I fed my boys out of jars for a few months untill they had teeth for table food, but you make this look easy. Maybe next time around I'll have to try it. Ice cube trays are a great idea!

Megan said...

Love it! I am going to try this when Aidan gets a little older!

Tina said...

Loved the tutorial. Now that I see how to do it, I may try to next time. You make it look so easy :)