Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The BABY'S Blanket

So this past weekend (Friday & Saturday) I spent quite a few hours making a quilt for our baby girl. I've made blankets for the boys in the past but all that consisted of was two pieces of material sewn back to back then turned and stitched closed. This time I decided I'd try something harder.... and YES, IT WAS MUCH HARDER!!!!I began by first cutting all the material into 8"x8" squares. Then I cut all the batting into 6"x6" squares... this alone took me a little over 2 (or was it 3) hours. Next I placed one square of batting in between two pieces of material (stripes were back to back and the red was back to back with the blue)... following me so far??? At this point I sewed big Xs across each square to keep them together...
I cut all the squares apart from one another and put them on the floor in the pattern I wanted the quilt to be and began sewing each row together...
I was making a rag quilt so I had to leave the extra material around the batting all standing up on ONE side so I could go around and then cut that extra material into small raggedy looking ends... LIKE THIS!!!
I washed it and then had to put it through the drier twice, but in the end it came out looking pretty darn good!!!
So what did I learn from this project??? As much as my boys LOVE their simple blankets I made for them, why oh why did I feel I had to try something harder for this one :) j/k
I can sew even though I didn't take classes and this kind of quilt is great for hiding all your screw ups :)

4 comments:

nlybbs said...

Awesome quilt! I love the color combo! :O)

Marci and Gary said...

Congratulations on the baby girl! The quilt is so gorgeous!

Talecia said...

Wow, the blanket is cute. I am glad you found me on here. You can totally look at my blog. I am not good at updating. My sister keeps doing it for me. Yeah for the little girl.

Tyanna said...

SO cute! I love these colors so much!