Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Day 5- Veterans/Beaches

Wednesday, April 1

This morning we actually slept in until almost 8 o'clock.  We got up, got ready and had breakfast before venturing out for the day... so by the time we left it was like 9:30-10.  We didn't have a whole lot to do on our list today, but we also didn't know how long we'd want to stay at each location to enjoy them.
Our first stop was at Rosecrans Memorial Cemetery.  Jeremiah had 2 grandfathers and I had 1 who served in the Navy during WWII.  Jeremiah also had/has many other family members who have been in various branches of the military, so being able to visit a cemetery dedicated to those who lost their lives serving the USA felt appropriate.
This monument was erected in memory of those soldiers who lost their lives on the USS Bennington.  There is a "barrier wall" around those who are included with the actual memorial (we are sitting on it).
I was amazed at the acres of headstones in PERFECT alignment with one another.  Around the perimeter of the cemetery they are gradually adding this wall (seen above) with placards bearing the names/dates of service men/women who have passed away. It was humbling to be surrounded by souls who have given their lives for the freedom of others.
 ...even sweet, little 7 year old Kenai had to take a moment here and there because he just "felt like he needed to look at this name"... Kaiya loved finding stickers, notes, pictures, etc. on the faces of the placards and asked who they were from/for.
Given the opportunity I would recommend visiting here.  It is an easy drive (thanks to my GPS on my phone).  It is free.  It is a great learning moment to teach future generations about pride and honor in serving our country (should that be something they want to do).
I was shocked when I saw this headstone... out of the thousands, what were the odds I walk by this one... it is for a woman who marched with the Mormon Battalion while pregnant.  Upon arrival in San Diego she gave birth to the first baby born in San Diego.  He passed away and she followed him within the week.
We walked back to the jeep to head off for lunch and Jeremiah picked this flower for me from the side of the road.  I loved how pretty it was, with the different colors originating at the center and flowing into one another as it moved out.  Just like we are all interconnected from one generation to the next, and what we do now will flow into those who follow.
We left Rosecrans and drove about 5 minutes to Phil's B.B.Q. Remember, we had already tried getting in here once before for dinner.  This time it was the lunch time and we were able to wait less than 15 minutes to get in.  You wait in line and when you reach the front you place your order before sitting down.  Then they give you a "buzzer" thing and when it goes off your order is ready at the counter.
Jeremiah was thrilled about FINALLY getting his grub.  He got a full order of baby back ribs with 2 sides. 
Kotah got a Cheeseburger and I got a Turkey burger.
Between Kaiya and Kenai they had a "chick-less" dinner... meaning boneless chicken in bbq sauce with a large side of fries (really everyone had some of the fries and they still weren't gone)
 After lunch we headed back toward the Lodge, but first we stopped at the USS Midway again.  This time we parked (and didn't pay the meter enough money apparently.... got a parking ticket) and went INSIDE for the tour.  Notice the headphones on the boys? We walk around the different levels and enter numbers into hand held devices that play prerecorded scripts explaining the different parts of the ship.
(below) a view of the Coronado Bridge we drove across each time we went to Coronado Island to play on the beach, including later this day.
 
The kids had fun posing for different pictures because on the headset it would say... "ahead, you can pose for a picture with...." so they were the ones asking for the pictures.
 
 
We got back to the Lodge and changed so we could head over to the beach for the evening (it was about 4 o'clock)
 
 
 
 
Believe it or not, I DO GET IN THE WATER, but the problem is when I'm in the water so is everyone else so there are no pictures to actually document that fact.  I kept taking Kaiya out in the waves so she could get "all wet, but not on my face or my hair"... I'd hold her up when the big waves came in and she'd walk along jumping over the smaller ones.  It truly was a nice, relaxing night. Came back to the Lodge for showers, dinner, and a movie... no one made it through the movie though... I'm the only one still awake.

No comments: