This Memorial Day I took the kids (while Jeremiah went shooting with friends) to the two cemeteries nearby that have close relatives (or relatively close relatives) buried there...
Nathan's grave is ALWAYS our first stop. This year the kids picked out the white flowers that are on the LEFT (between the headstone parts)
No trip to the Hooper cemetery is complete unless you've taken a ride on the Green Cannon. I have always known it to be green, even back when I was the one taking my rides :)
Kaiya's big thing this year was walking from headstone to headstone and standing up the flowers that had fallen on their sides. It was so cute and yet it made the 60 second walk between Nathan's grave site and my Granddad Johnston's grave site into a 5 minute walk. Just trying to do her good deeds though so we stopped at EVERY SINGLE ONE... there and back :)
After the Hooper Cemetery I called my dad and asked if he wanted to go to the Roy cemetery to help me show (and explain their relation) of my great and great/great grandparents... when we pulled up there was this HUGE marker. It has only been there a week or two, it is crazy how huge it is in this small cemetery.
On the right side it says, "In remembrance of the fist settlers of Roy, UT 1873" and those settlers were my Great, great, great grandparents... the line is ME, my dad, his mom (Marilyn), her dad (William Amasa), his dad (William Nathan) and then his parents were William Evans and Esther Celestia Cole (the first settlers)
Here Jeremiah had gotten home and come to meet up with us... just in time to get a picture of my kids with me, my dad, and my grandma Bennington at the marker with her grandpa's name and his parents :) What a simple, fun morning I had with the kids. I know I have a LOT of other ancestors buried in other cemeteries around here, but the truth is I don't know all of them and I don't know WHERE all of them are exactly located anyway even if I did go to the cemeteries. So I kept it to those that are within a few generations and those I actually knew.







No comments:
Post a Comment