Pictures.... then words
Since its already been 3 months I'll just give you the brief summaries of the different activities.
Jeremiah works nights so it makes it more difficult to go do any of the Christmas activities I like to do with the kids. One activity he pretty much HATES is going to Salt Lake City and seeing the lights at Temple Square. This year I didn't even try to get him to go on a weekend when he didn't work, I told him I was just going to go with the kids and he didn't have to make up excuses not to go.
It was nice though to have my parents want to go with us. We headed down almost as soon as the kids were out of school, about 3:30ish, and made it down there before there was a rush of visitors. We went in the visitor's centers and had our usual visit to see my Granddad's picture. It is nice to see his face each time we visit the temple grounds, its a good reminder that one day my kids will get to see him face to face and I'll get to hug him and love on him as I once did here on earth.
After walking through the visitor's centers we ventured outside just in time for them to start turning on the lights everywhere around us. It was a fun new experience. We usually go down later in the evening (with the rest of UTAH) and it kind of feels like you're being herded through without getting to sit and enjoy the view, which is part of or most of the reason Jeremiah always complained about going down in the first place.
My parents are so involved with my kids. I am grateful they have the relationships they do with one another. I love my grandparents, and I know my kids will have an even greater bond with theirs because they are able to be around each other and experience so many activities together.
We had a family party at my parents' place with Santa. Its always fun to see their different personalities come out when they are able to be "little children" this time of year.
Kaiya was excited to have a beanie and gloves that were "Oh, so cute!"
Since Grandpa Bennington passed away in February, Grandma has been coming to EVERYTHING we invite her to. We are so thankful to have her in our lives. She needs us, but we need her too. This year has been a lot of firsts for her and from day to day it can be more or less difficult to get through. My parents and I go to lunch with her typically once a week, sometimes more frequently if it is needed.
During the gift opening portion of the party my sister and her family were able to face-time from Denver. This was Kaiya and Jovi watching Riven open her gift.
There was once a gingerbread building/decorating activity each year, but as there were more and more LITTLE grandkids it evolved into Christmas Tree decorating. You take an ice cream cone and turn it on its top then let the kids decorate as they please. Much less difficult. Much less mess. AND much more independent for all the kids to do on their own.
December 23 every year we have the Bennington Family Christmas party. This was the first year since Grandpa passed, but it was also the first year in a few years that Grandma was able to join us for the party. In the last few years Grandma had gotten so she would stay home with Grandpa because it was easier for him and she didn't want to leave him alone. It was somber, but nice to see everyone that was able to come.
This year instead of Christmas PJs the kids all got Christmas Church clothes. They opened them on the morning of Christmas Eve (Sunday) and were able to wear them to church. They were all so excited and happy. Kotah looks so sharp every Sunday passing the sacrament in his sweater and Kenai LOVES the deer on his. Kaiya likes that her's has a "jacket" that can come off when it gets warmer, but she will still be able to wear it.
Christmas morning...
I'm sorry to say I did NOT take pictures this morning.
We all gathered in the front room and opened gifts but I didn't focus on trying to capture all the love and joy in that room with pictures... I was just PRESENT IN THE MOMENT
We all gathered in the front room and opened gifts but I didn't focus on trying to capture all the love and joy in that room with pictures... I was just PRESENT IN THE MOMENT
The best gift we all got was a surprise gift to DISNEYLAND
We left that night, Christmas Day... We drove, and by "we" I mean Jeremiah, to Mesquite that night and got in there about 2 in the morning. We were up and outta there by 10, but the drive from Vegas to California was bumper to bumper THE WHOLE WAY!!
We got into California on December 26th, but weren't planning to head to the park until the next day. We had purchased 3 day hopper passes. The first day, the 27th was the busiest day of the trip... we were there for the "opening" at 8 and the lines for security checking were at least 30 minutes, then 30 into the park (there were so many people at one point that they stopped letting people into the parks). We slowly made our way around the park. We rode the smaller rides in Fantasy Land and Toontown. We figured out how to use fast passes and tried a few out here and there. We were just slowly wandering around and seeing what there was. We left about dinner time (6:40) and headed back to the hotel where we ate and then went down to the pool/hot tub. This became a MUST for the kids.
The next day, the 28th, we started in Disneyland again and then ventured over to see what was what in California Adventure. We stayed in this park for the rest of the day, until about 7 again, then headed home to the hotel where we ate and went swimming again. The kids were having so much fun and the fact that Jeremiah and I were just calmly walking around and deciding what to do next as we came to it was making it a STRESS FREE trip. We never once felt rushed or pushed or pressed for time. We just did what we did and got to whatever the kids wanted to do.
On the 29th we took a break from the parks all together. We slept in. Had breakfast. Drove up to Santa Monica Pier. We thought we'd ride the rides there and see some fun things, but it was more of an uneasy feeling we had. There were performers around and creepy people surrounding the area to the point that we felt we needed to leave. The kids were hungry so we searched for a nearby place and found Cheesecake Factory. We went in and enjoyed a nice meal/desserts. Being in a place that, even though it is in another state, feels more like home eased the kids anxiety levels. We sat and relaxed before heading back to the car for the drive home to the hotel... where we went swimming and hot tubbing again.
December 30th, our last day in the parks. By this day we had early entry and fast passes all figured out. We rode EVERY single ride the kids wanted to multiple times this day. I know part of that was because most of the people with 3 day passes like us had used their 3rd day on the 29th and we saved ours until they were all gone. There were still plenty of people, but by this day we felt like pros.
I am FOREVER grateful we went this year. Kotah was still young enough to enjoy it without any inhibitions, Kaiya was old enough/tall enough to ride all the rides, and Kenai was strong enough to help carry his own little backpack with snacks (all the kids did this). It truly was the BEST TIMED vacation.
We spent the MOST time in BOTH parks that last day. We didn't head back to the hotel until closer to 9ish... the kids were so tired and ready for bed, but they had to go sit in the hot tub "ONE MORE TIME" before showering and getting everything ready to leave first thing in the morning.
The drive home was great. Less traffic. We were out of California's "downtown" traffic before sunup and we basically treated different pit stops along the was as intervals. Jeremiah drove, then I drove then he drove again and we were home by 6 that night. Gunner was so beyond excited to see the kids and the whole family that we just took him home without all his other stuff that had been at my parent's place. It was a WONDERFUL vacation, one I hope to go on again. This was New Year's Eve... we were in bed by 8 and sound asleep as the world rang in the new year. I love my family. I am eternally grateful that Jeremiah chose to stick around and marry me when he could have simply walked away and left me with Kotah. I love you Jeremiah. I love you Kotah. I love you Kenai. I love you Kaiya. I LOVE MY FAMILY!









































No comments:
Post a Comment