Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Festivities

Family activities seem to flow from one into the other during this time of year.  We had one thing each week from Thanksgiving to Christmas and now that it is Christmas Day I can't believe that the year is almost over.
(Finally completed.... January 31st)
Kaiya just visiting with Santa at Smith & Edwards.  He had just walked back from a break and snagged her from the aisle and walked to his couch with her (completely bypassing all the kids that had actually been waiting in line)... and all because he LOVED HER HAIR! I tell you, she gets this kind of treatment far too often thanks to the color of her hair.
The first week of December we had a ward party at our church where the kids sang and Kotah got to participate in a Bell ringing/playing song thing... he had never done something like that before, but they group of kids played their songs very well.
The 10th of December was my Granddad Johnston's birthday... this year we were able to actually hold our family party on that day.  It was a Saturday morning and we all gathered at a nearby church.  We had breakfast food and sang  a little while waiting for Santa to arrive.  Kotah wanted Seattle Seahawks stuff or lacrosse gear...
Kaiya wanted some princess dresses...
(LOVE the picture below, even if it is a little blurry from my phone camera... they joy and excitement she had in her eyes after talking to Santa- I wish you could bottle it up and sell it because it was so pure and innocent) 
Kenai has gotten to that age where he is "Mr. Cool" and tries to pretend that he isn't nearly as excited as he really is on the inside.  He smerks and tries not to break into a smile, but eventually he was grinning from ear to ear.  He even told me, "Mom, this is the real Santa... like the REAL ONE! He has a real beard and he knew things I had done good and bad."  Oh to be a child at Christmas again.
Jeremiah and I had wanted to go see Christmas lights; however, Jeremiah is so tired of me dragging him to Temple Square with all the other thousands of people that I caved and agreed NOT to go THERE this year.  We did make it over to Ogden's Christmas Village though, and to be perfectly honest, I may have though it was a better option anyway.
We went a little later in the evening, about 8 o'clock, and not only was it a fairly calm (warmish- for December) night, but there were hardly any people walking around by that time of the evening.  The kids liked being able to actually walk up to the display houses and SEE in without having to wait or be picked up to see over/around other people.
We are probably (unintentionally) making THIS a TRADITION...  and that is alright.  It was nice to have Jeremiah home for the night.  In fact, he took off from work the whole week in between Christmas and New Year's. Funny how you get so use to doing things a certain way and then when a "new" person is suddenly present for those activities its as though you have to adjust them or make changes to accommodate them... haha that was us.
When we were finished walking around the block of lights we headed to Village Inn for some warm grub (so I didn't have to mess up the kitchen.... haha as if it was actually spotless or something....) but that's what we said as we drove there.
My family had a party at my parent's place one the 18th.
We went to see the movie "Sing" on the 23rd.
The night of the 23rd my dad's family had our annual Bennington Family Party.  It is hard to see your grandparents get to a point in their mortal life and know that they are nearing the end.  My grandpa has been progressively getting "older", and by that I just mean his body is getting slower and slower.  He sleeps a LOT these days and there have been times when we go see him that he doesn't recognize us at first.  They moved into an assisted living last fall, but then moved home again by December.  As of today (Jan. 31) he is in the process of getting into a care center where they can provide for him the things my grandma can no longer do.  They weren't even able to attend this party, which was sad and hard to have.  It was a glimpse into what it will be like when they are actually gone and we can no longer experience parties and holidays with either one of them.
Christmas Eve the kids and I watched a few movies before getting them into bed (Jeremiah was sleeping- getting onto our schedule is harder some weeks than others)
After the kids went to bed I convinced Jeremiah to get up and watch "Family Man" with me.  He hates it, but every year- EVERY YEAR on Christmas Eve we watch it.  I'm not sure why but it sorta started and I still like it.  We only watch it that ONE TIME every year, but it is such a good lesson about cherishing our family even if there are moments where we wish we could "go back and change something" from our past.
This guy right here works so hard for our family.  He works a grave yard shift in order to provide the necessities (and beyond) for our kids.  I am privileged to stay home and provide the other necessities that our children need in the world they are having to grow up in.  Mothers and Fathers have this obligation to our children to take care of them, to love the, provide for them (physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually).  Without Jeremiah I could NOT focus on those things that are so important for me to teach our kids, because I would have to get out of our home and work for the physical needs rather getting to focus on their emotional/mental and SPIRITUAL needs.
Christmas time is, for some, the only time of they whole year where they reflect on so many other parts of life.  Why are we here.  What is the purpose of this life.  Where will we go when we die.  I know that we are here on earth to gain a body like our Father in Heaven.  I know that we are here to SHOW Him that we will follow HIM, even when the world mocks us and ridicules us for doing so.  I know that the purpose of this life is to be tested, to chose good over evil, to have a family, to make that family an ETERNAL FAMILY.  I know that if we are strong and faithful in our time here one earth that we will be able to join together (with our families) after we have passed from this life.  I know that it is because of and through Jesus Christ that ALL MEN (meaning men and women) are able to repent of their mis-steps, that we can all be forgiven of those sins that would otherwise drag us down to misery.  I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the greatest GIFT ever given to man.  No gift, at any other time in the history of this world, could ever compare to His Gift.  I love my Savior.  I know that he loves me and is mindful of my needs.  I know that the only gift I want to receive is the gift of Eternal Life, with the family that I Love.
It was snowing when we got up, so of course Jeremiah was out there as soon as he could to try and clear the walk ways and make it safer for us to leave for church.
For breakfast we had hot chocolate and Waffle Cinnamon Rolls with a sweet glaze.
Church was the PERFECT way to start the day.  The kids had come down the stairs and they SAW what was in the front room, but they also knew what was expected of them: get up, get ready for church and then we will go to church (only Sacrament meeting) and it was beautiful words and music that touched my heart.  When we got home they would be able to change back into their pajamas and THEN we would actually open gifts and SEE what was in the packages.
(below: what you do before church when you aren't allowed to touch anything YET)
So thankful that we live all of like 3 streets from our church house... and also very thankful for a JEEP with 4wheel drive. It sure was beautiful though, wasn't it?
This is how they boys spent the REST of the day... Kotah in all his Seahawks gear and Kenai is in his Atlanta Falcon/BYU gear... Kaiya spend the day playing on her Karaoke machine (from Jeremiah) and dancing around in her princess outfits.
I was so happy that it was snowy outside and yet so cozy in our new home.  It has been a hard adjustment for me here.  I have days where I LOVE the new home and others where I HATE it.  This was a GREAT first Christmas in our new home.  New memories. New traditions. New futures.  I love my life.  I love my family.  I love my Savior Jesus Christ. I hope you have/had a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

No comments: