Thursday, April 24, 2014

April...

This month feels like it has just begun, and yet.... as you can see it is actually practically over.  We had General Conference weekend where together with no work.  We watch the sessions on Saturday/Sunday and spent some time with other family members.  This year was different than other years because the Saturday evening Priesthood session was broadcast on television so I actually watched it with my dad, brother, and Jeremiah.  I have never felt like I was "missing out" on anything by not attending these sessions it the past.  As I sat there listening to the speakers I felt the same way I had always felt as I read the talks a month later when they are published for anyone to read in the Ensign/Liahona (our church's magazine).  I feel women who are making a big deal about not being "allowed" to hold and administer the priesthood do not fully understand their own roll in using the power of the priesthood for their benefit.  AND... even if the leaders of the church were to come forward at some future time and announce that "women are now going to be allowed to receive the priesthood" they would NOT be allowed to have it based on their current actions.  It isn't like earning a driver's license.  It isn't like getting a passport.  The priesthood is the power of God given to WORTHY men to do his work while here on earth.  You have to be Christ-like, obedient, honest, faithful people to be considered for such a calling.  Women have their own divine rights and men have theirs.  Perhaps there will come a time when women will be given the authority to hold the priesthood, but until that revelation is received from God I will happily allow the men to fulfill that calling while here on earth, I've got enough other things I'm already falling short of fulfilling.
 
On Sunday, April 13th I turned 31.  It was a quiet, peaceful transition into adulthood.  I taught the sunbeams (3-4yr olds) at our church all about the insects and birds.  We went over to my parents house where I prepared most of our dinner: grilled turkey steaks, orzo (a first for most of my family), avocados (yummy on anything), then for desert we had strawberry short cake.  I got cards from my parents, G-ma Johnston, and Gma/Gpa Bennington all with some money in them.  That was it.  So now I'm half way to my dad's age... that will probably come faster than the last half.
 
 
Now for some activity updates:
Kenai's having a hard time with this soccer team.  He is the only one that knows WHERE to dribble the ball, HOW to dribble the ball and can actually score.  He has scored in each game so far.  We've talked to him about having a good game even when you lose and that sometimes that's all you can hope for.
This weekend Syrie came up with Stryder for EASTER.... this is pretty much the result the first few times the kids saw each other :) haha they love one another so much and miss playing with Stryder ever day like they use to.  This was Kaiya's attack when they got to Kenai's soccer game.
(below) Kenai almost threw the ball INTO the goal... and yes, I know he is technically ON the field of play, but no one cares to correct these little guys so he takes full advantage whenever he can.
Immediately following Kenai's soccer game we drove over to Kotah's Lacrosse game that was already in going on.  Lucky for us they are only about a 5 minute drive apart.  He is LOVING LACROSSE.  I don't know if he'll ever go back to playing soccer or even baseball for that matter (he likes baseball more than soccer- last I checked)  His coaches like his aggressive nature to get after the ball.  He's been complimented repeatedly on how well he listens and pays attention and the IMPLEMENTS what they've just been teaching.
 Kotah's team is white.  He is on the right below.  His team won 10-2 and Kotah had 2 assists while I was there.  He plays an attacking position (I think that's what they call them "attackers"- basically a forward)  He is the "top" player and hangs out around the back side of the goal they are trying to score in.  If a player shoots, but misses the goal he runs for the ball and then moves it back around to the front of the goal for another shot.  That is how he got his assists.  He is so cute to watch running around smacking into other players.  It has definitely been worth the time he's put into practicing/playing.


 Following his Lacrosse game we tried to get him over to his soccer game, but we just weren't able to get there in time.  So instead we went on over to my parents' place for roasting hot dogs, eating, playing and then coloring/hiding/finding Easter eggs.

 Kaiya and Jovi
 Kotah giving me his "best smile"
 Kenai, Stryder, Kotah, Kaiya, Jovi all coloring the eggs
We "released" the kids out into the yard one at a time youngest to oldest hoping the little ones would clear the cement before the other ones came running.... I think it worked well enough.

 Searching high and low, near and far.... they were all over that yard... and the pasture (below)


Kaiya got a pretty good haul...
...not quite as many as Kenai had...
...but of course Kotah had the most of all (as he should)
Hope you all had a great Easter celebration... just as we did.
Easter Sunday was a wonderful morning.  The kids got up, Jer got up, and I slept in until 8:30.  I walked into the front room and the kids hadn't even touched their baskets.  This year the Easter Bunny left them 2 books: The Not Even Once Club and When I Take the Sacrament, I Remember Jesus. They each got a chocolate bunny, a bag of watermelon chews, and sweedish fish.  Oh to be a kid again and have such simple things to look forward to.  I LOVE my kids more than life itself.  They are my everything.  I would do and will do anything I have to in order to keep them safe and unharmed in this world full of hate and crime.  I am grateful every day that my Heavenly Father found me worthy enough to receive these little spirits into my home.  To teach them and guide them along the path they are to follow throughout this life on earth.  My boys are so smart.  As we talked about Easter and why we celebrate it they knew ALL the answers.  They were so quick to remember why we have Easter.  That is isn't about the bunny, the eggs, the gifts or even the death of Jesus Christ... but rather the RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ.  That even after we die and pass from this life, our spirit and body will one day be made whole and perfect just as Jesus' was.  That we will be allowed to live again.  That if we live our lives according to the teachings and commandment of Jesus Christ ALL MANKIND can be saved.

No comments: