It's been about 2 weeks since the 3rd term started at Kotah's school. With that change Kotah was transferred (accepted) into the Spanish immersion program that is offered at his school. We wanted to apply to start him in the program at the start of the year, but his (THEN) speech therapist didn't sign off on it... he has since passed his assessments with his speech so when the opportunity came up to apply for an open position in the immersion program I asked him if he wanted to switch over and he all but did a little dance for me.
SOOO, he's been in there for the last 2 weeks and we had Parent Teacher Conferences this last week so Kotah and I met with his previous teacher as well as his two new teachers. He was able to pass the oral Spanish assessments the kids (who had been in the program all year) were suppose to be up to. He read a story, counted money, answered questions IN SPANISH and along with all that he has been getting 90% or higher on all his Spanish spelling tests :) I am very please with the results he's getting. He easily puts in an extra 30 minutes of homework studying/reading due to the desire he has to catch up to (and probably surpass) his classmates. He was always in the top percentile in English classes so I was not as surprised when I was told he was still doing exceptionally well there. We don't always get along during homework time/reading time, but it was nice to show Kotah that all that hard work and dedication is indeed paying off in the class. He was smiling the whole time. It was nice to see him so pleased with himself in something that requires thinking rather than just performance (IE... sports). He is turning into a smarty pants. Reading at a 3rd grade level, doing math with nearly no assistance, and wanting to work hard on his spelling/Spanish. I sure do hope this enthusiasm and drive to excel in education will continue FOREVER :) Love you so much Kotah and I'm so proud of how your hard work/dedication has paid off.
No comments:
Post a Comment