Tuesday, January 29, 2013

FHE and a Dislocation

During the winter it is so hard NOT to fall into the pattern of spending all your time in front of the TV.  Whether it is watching movies, video games, Netflix, or current television shows it seems like lately that is all the kids want to do (when they aren't doing school work).  So, tonight Jeremiah and I sat down with the kids and A- had to have a lesson on saying "Sorry" and when it is appropriate (which is more often than they have been doing lately) and B- Jer took each of them aside and talked one on one with them about all sorts of things... he hasn't even told me everything they told him yet. After the "interviews" were completed the one thing the boys agreed to was spending more time with the TV OFF!!!! YEAH.  We finished our Formal part of Family Home Evening about 6ish and then moved into the "Funner" part as Kenai put it.  We played a few board games, had an evening snack, baths, brushed teeth and put the kids to bed by 8:30 and really by "kids" I do mean Kotah, Kenai, Kaiya AND Jeremiah.  After everyone was sleeping soundly I hopped on the treadmill for my nightly run, but after everything that went on today I could only get myself to walk 3ish miles (with an incline so there was more work, but still easier than normal)....

what went on today you ask???

Well, we had a nice relaxing day at the house, shoveling snow, donating blood and Kaiya dislocating her elbow. That's right, it was nap time and I was carrying her into her room to put her down when she did the "flop" and slipped from my grip. I must have grabbed her arm wrong, or she grabbed for me and P-O-P it was out of place.  I didn't realize anything was wrong, she just said owe and we laid down... but she wouldn't stop holding her arm across her belly and she kept telling me that her "knee hurt" meaning her arm hurt.  So I (we) took her over to a Dr.'s office close by and they took her back almost immediately.  The doc took her elbow in one hand and rotated the forearm with the other around to the outside then back straight to her chest and P-O-P, it was right back where it needed to be.  A quick tug of a toddler's arm can result in a subluxation (partial dislocation) of an elbow bone, known as nursemaid's elbow. Since we were already there and going to pay a copay on the visit he checked out her everything else and gave her a Pass. The rest of the afternoon she kept referring to the Dr. as "Grandpa Elmo" because his name was Elmo and he's older so she recognized him as a grandpa.

(example of what happened to the joint)

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

Darn that stinks about the elbow, but I would have to say the Grandpa Elmo is pretty cute. I also have to tell you that I agree she has the cutest little red hair, just love those curls!!!