The following morning THURSDAY, January 13, 2011 Jeremiah and I headed to the hospital for the long process of waiting for Kaiya's birth. We got there at 9, but didn't get my I.V. started until 10 (they also broke my water at that time). After that we waited 2 hours before starting the Pitocin. Due to the fact that I am a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After C-Section) I had to receive the Pitocin at a much slower rate than other women normally would. Instead of starting at a level 4 I started at a 2, and instead of increasing by 4s, I had to only increase by 2s.
So every hour for the next 4 hours I was on my IV with my contractions both increasing in strength as well as increasing their frequency. By 4 I was at a level 11 and having contractions every 3 minutes... Things were going great, but by now I was pretty sore and getting sick with each contraction so I finally decided it was time for my epidural. I got that at 4:20ish and things began to finally progress better (internally, I mean). We had come to the conclusion that we'd have her after the boys' bedtime so my parents came up with them to say good night about 7:30 or so. When they got there I was still only at a 7 dilation...
From the time they got there to 8 o'clock I was able to finally finish dilating. It was kinda funny because just as Jeremiah had finally decided to listen to me and go get his food (cuz they closed at 8) I was checked and told things were ready. I called down to him in the cafeteria as the nurse called in the doctor and they both got there about the same time... We were ready to PUSH!!!! With Kenai I only had to push twice so I was hoping it could go as smoothly as that :) Well I wasn't as smooth as that... it was BETTER- SHE WAS OUT IN ONE!!!! That's right I had to deal with contractions for weeks and blessed to have her out in just ONE PUSH!!! When it was time for her to come I was so happy because I had allowed my epidural to wear off just enough that I was able to know when to push and could tell where she was as she was being born... COOLEST FEELING EVER!!!!
She was out and JEREMIAH got to cut the UMBILICAL CORD. They put her right on my chest and she took right to learning how to nurse (and she absolutely is a NATURAL).
It was such a blessing to have our whole family there, yet at the same time it was pretty crazy with the boys wanting to be right there and wanting to do everything for Kaiya
She had light red hair for now... I love that she is already a little different than our boys, I mean besides the fact that she's a girl :) I just absolutely love her already more than one could ever think they could love someone. Its an incredible feeling to know that you created a life and nurtured it until the time when they were able to enter into our life and survive on their own
Kaiya RaeLynn Sudyka
- 6 pounds 6.3 ounces
-18 1/2 inches long
Jeremiah (and the boys) took Kaiya to the nursery to get bathed and all her paperwork done.
Kaiya didn't like getting her first rub down, but hey who would rather get scrubbed than be wrapped up all cozy.
After all the excitement and craziness of the day/night my parents, sister and Jeremiah with the boys went home for a good night's sleep. I was able to have a few hours of just me and my little girl. I took this picture of her in my arms.
Friday Jeremiah brought the boys back in the afternoon so we could get some pictures of them with their new little sister. Kotah already wants to do EVERYTHING for her, and Kenai is adjusting pretty well.
This is her picture before getting placed in her car seat to go home
We just arrived home with her for the first time!! The dolls are the ones Kotah and Kenai gave her for Christmas.
Today has been a nice relaxing day. We gave Kaiya a bath and while doing so we played some church music. She was looking at the player the whole time and didn't squirm one bit. Jeremiah will still be home with us tomorrow so we're hoping to get the groceries we need. Then come Tuesday we're back to normal with school, work, and everyday life... with the addition of feedings, changings and naps. Welcome to the busy life of our family Kaiya, we sure wouldn't trade you for anything.
4 comments:
she's so pretty Sharcy! She looks so much like you! I'm glad all is well!
Congratulations! She looks so tiny and perfect. Good luck getting back into a routine. :)
Awe! Congrats. New little babies are so fun. Cuddle and enjoy her lots and lots.
Congrats Sharcy! I bet you're going to love having a girl!
Post a Comment