As we all know there are those times in our lives, in our relationships when we wonder if we are still cared for, loved and cherished. Today I was reminded in a wonderful way just how much my man loves me!!!
As I have posted previously, I am coaching Kotah's U7 Boys soccer team for AYSO. Today was the last game of the Fall season (we will also play together in the Spring). We played the same team we played the FIRST GAME of the season. Today I was hoping to not get killed by them as we had been the first game. The game was going well, we were down 2-1 for a while and then 3-2 by half time. When my timer went off signaling that it was time for half I blew my whistle and hollered that it was half time. The boys scattered to get their water/treats and as they did so the HUSBAND of the official coach of the other team (she was not there today) came charging across the field at me with his arm raised and was pointing it in my face yelling at me about how I was not suppose to blow the whistle to stop the game at the end of the half... that I was suppose to just let them play until the ball had left the playing field. If this sounds at all familiar, it is because in the first game against this team his WIFE (the official coach) came at me at the end of the 3rd quarter yelling about how I was suppose to let them play out the quarter until the ball had left the playing field, and that I was only suppose to blow the end of the half and the end of the game no matter where the ball was currently in play. So, since I had already experienced this type of verbal abuse from his wife my response was (YES LOUD, but not yelling... he should be scared if he gets me actually yelling) my response was to turn it back on him. I said, "No, you play out the first/third quarters until the ball is out of bounds. At the half and the end of the game, you simply blow the whistle signalling that the time is up." He yelled back that I was wrong, so I yelled, "Well you are yelling at me for the EXACT OPPOSITE of what your wife yelled at me over in the first game. So what is it? Are you right or is she right? Because you can't both be right." I think I lifted my arm back at him during the part of my statements. I then turned and walked away and at this point he yelled at me that I needed to be nice. REALLY??? you come at me and I NEED TO BE NICE??? I could not believe this had just happened... I walk to the sidelines and Yes, I was visually upset, tears in my eyes and sooooo PISSED (sorry mom), but YES I was that upset. I walked away because I felt I needed to not show my boys that side of my personality. I am there to be their coach, and their example. The replacement coach walked over to me and asked what happened, I told him and he was so upset with the guy. Jeremiah was on the phone (with his dad I think) and saw something had happened. I walked back on the field and gathered my team to talk to them about their GAME, they were doing great!! I love coaching these young boys. While we were sitting in the middle of the field Jeremiah walked across the field at the man who had come at me. Both my parents were yelling at him to just leave it, but he couldn't. He walk up to him and said something to the effect of, "I don't know what just went on but whatever it was about, that was uncalled for. These are little boys and you had no right to go yell at her", (pointing toward me). Jeremiah was head and shoulders taller than this guy (or at least appeared that way) The man walked out to the center of the field where I was getting my boys ready to go for the second half and began apologizing over and over, like he was stuck on repeat, and then started asking me game strategy and formations.... WTH??? I just dismissed him and got my kids out to play.
After the game I had parent after parent coming up to me expressing their apologies for the way that guy had behaved and treated me and they were complimenting how well I had handled the situation as well as how stupid the other guy appeared to them all. I was so touched by the fact that complete strangers, parents from the other team, as well as other onlookers would come up to me and express their sympathies for the way I had been treated. I also got many texts from my own players' parents telling me not to worry about it, because I am a good coach and handled it well in front of the boys. I LOVE that my man was able to walk across the field and stand up for me, without having to lay him out..... haha jk. But really, it was very touching to have him defend me. LOVE YOU JEREMIAH---> Thank you for doing what you did, but even more so in the HOW you did it. Teaching our boys that you defend the woman you love and that you can do so without fighting. Thank You!
No comments:
Post a Comment